Monday, March 28, 2011

So I broke down and got an iPod Touch

Yeah. In my defense, it was the cheapest option for what I wanted (mobile internet without getting a contract, basically through stealing other people's wifi.) and literally the first thing I did after taking it home was to jailbreak it. Crazy that Apple would be the cheapest (for the 8gb model at least) but there you have it. Strange, having to pay more for open source. Rest assured, when I get a smartphone it'll run Android. This is just a makeshift replacement for my laptop, which died (sorta) and would have cost more to fix.

Anyway, now I can play Final Fantasy VI (the best IMO) in a handheld device that also surfs the internet. Dream come true. And the iPod touch (really all of the IOS devices) is a pretty impressive machine - it has a 1ghz processor, a camera, a really posh touch screen, and an accelerometer, all in one very light, small package. Shame there's no physical keyboard (understandable) and no SD card slot (Borders on extortion to get the bigger models. No, Apple, adding 56 gigabytes to a machine should not double the price) and that it's locked down out of the box. Still, 8gb is cool for me, especially if I actually get around to setting up an FTP server one of these days and streaming all my stuff to the iPod.

Anyway, very nice. and cheap compared to similar offerings. Other than the stuff listed above, it's a joy to use, and really that's what counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment