Sunday, February 27, 2011

it's been a while. but this is pretty darn cool.

Yeah, I haven't posted in a long time. No excuse, I've just been lazy. Also, I haven't really come across anything really interesting that I could post about. No more, because the great illuminator that is StumbleUpon has shown me something of highly questionable legality but amazing potential.

I'm talking about Playr: http://www.playr.org/

Playr uses flash based emulators to play old (most Gameboy/Gameboy Color) games. It works decently well under Linux, which means it probably runs better under Windows seeing as how Flash in Linux is so awful. I haven't tested it under Windows yet. Whats really intriguing is that it allows you to log in and keep save states of the games you play. In other words, it's cloud-based emulation, and it doesn't matter what your OS is. You could even play it on the Wii's browser (of course, it wouldn't work well since the Wii has even worse flash than Linux)

This is, of course, highly suspect under certain IP laws, at least in the United States (Playr is hosted in Sweden, according to Wolframalpha). Actually, I'm almost afraid to call attention to it, or at least I would be if anyone read this blog. Nintendo in particular is absolutely vicious about its Copyrights (as well as DRM. Nintendo basically declared war on Wii homebrew, and apparently the 3DS will download updates automatically without the user's permission any time it's in wifi range) and will almost certainly sue, if Playr becomes well-known enough. Even if Nintendo can't win the case, the legal fees alone could drive it under.

Still, I can't help but hope that this site will flourish. And if it does, we'll have quite a service to use in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment